Travel Grant Program
Traveling to conferences is an important part of your professional and academic development — and is a fun experience! To encourage student participation in conferences, especially when travel funds are sometimes in short supply, we have established a fund to help with professional travel. The funds are available to all graduate students in good standing within the Biosciences or Bioengineering. We hope that students from labs with sufficient travel support will not apply to allow us to provide more funds to those whose travel hinges on receiving additional support.
Biosciences Travel Grants are used to help graduate students defray registration, travel, food, and/or lodging costs associated with conferences. The award is given as a reimbursement after the conference.
Students have used Biosciences Travel Grant money to attend hundreds of different conferences, both domestically and abroad. For example, the grant has subsidized student attendance at the following conferences:
- American Society for Cell Biology
- American Society of Human Genetics
- American Society of Plant Biologists
- Annual Drosophila Research Conference
- Association for Tropical Biology and Conservation and Organization for Tropical Studies
- The Batsheva de Rothschild Seminar on RNA Editing-From Prediction to Function
- Current and Future Applications of Focused Ultrasound
- Ecological Society of America
- EMBO Chemical Biology
- Gordon Conferences
- Keystone Symposia
- Methods in Computational Neuroscience
- The Society for Integrative & Comparative Biology
- Society for Neuroscience
- Soil Science Society of America
- …and many more!
Awards and Eligibility
Awards may be given for presenting research papers or posters at meetings organized by professional societies, universities, institutes, or other academic organizations. Students attending conferences but not presenting posters or talks are not eligible to apply.
Reimbursements will be processed through the SOM Office of Graduate Education. In all cases, documentation of your actual expense incurred (e.g., e-ticket or credit card bill) must be provided. If you have questions please e-mail Bryan Thomas Jr.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Please allow approximately 4-6 weeks from your application submission date for your travel grant to be reviewed. After returning from the conference, recipients are expected to present a poster at the next SBSA poster session.