Travel Grant Program
Traveling to conferences is an important part of your professional and academic development — and is a fun experience! To encourage student participation in conferences, especially when travel funds are sometimes in short supply, we have established a fund to help with professional travel. The funds are available to all PhD graduate students in good standing within the Biosciences or Bioengineering. We hope that students from labs with sufficient travel support will not apply to allow us to provide more funds to those whose travel hinges on receiving additional support.
OGE Travel Grants are used to help graduate students defray registration, travel, food, and/or lodging costs associated with conferences. The award is given as a reimbursement after the conference.
Students have used OGE Travel Grant money to attend hundreds of different conferences, both domestically and abroad. For example, the grant has subsidized student attendance at the following:
- American Society for Cell Biology
- American Society of Human Genetics
- American Society of Plant Biologists
- Annual Drosophila Research Conference
- Association for Tropical Biology and Conservation and Organization for Tropical Studies
- The Batsheva de Rothschild Seminar on RNA Editing-From Prediction to Function
- Current and Future Applications of Focused Ultrasound
- Ecological Society of America
- EMBO Chemical Biology
- Gordon Conferences
- Keystone Symposia
- Methods in Computational Neuroscience
- The Society for Integrative & Comparative Biology
- Society for Neuroscience
- Soil Science Society of America
- …and many more!
Application and Review Schedules
Effective winter 2020, OGE Travel Grant applications will be reviewed once per quarter via the schedule below. We recommend that you apply for a travel award at least one quarter prior to one closest to when your travel will take place, unless otherwise noted below.
Please note that travel prior to June 14, 2021 cannot be reimbursed via this award.
2021 and 2022 Application Dates
|Quarter(s) of Travel||Travel Completed By||Application Opens||Application Closes||Applicants Notified|
|Fall 2021 through Winter 2022||March 13||January 19||February 2||February 14|
|Spring 2022||June 30||April 13||April 27|
|Summer 2022||September 30||June 22||July 13||August 1|
|Fall 2022||December 31||September 28||October 12||October 24|
(the above link will be live only during the application open/close dates)
Awards and Eligibility
PhD students in the Biosciences can apply for awards to present research papers or posters at meetings organized by professional societies, universities, institutes, or other academic organizations.
Students attending conferences but not presenting posters or talks are not eligible for reimbursement via this award.
The OGE Travel Grant will award up to $1,000 per awardee once per academic year.
Reimbursements will be processed through the SOM Office of Graduate Education. Please see below for the updated policies regarding how travel and lodging must be purchased in order to be eligible for reimbursement via this award.
Please view the Stanford-sponsored travel policy and requirements regarding COVID-19 and other considerations as well as the OGE policies below prior to applying.
OGE Travel Grant Program Policy – Updated 04/14/2022
Reservations, Flight, and Food Policies
- The Stanford Travel Program is the required booking method when faculty, staff, postdoctoral scholars and students are booking airfare, hotels, or rental cars for university-sponsored travel. Booking through Stanford Travel transmits reservations automatically to the university’s Travel Registry (which supports travelers in event of emergency), reduces administrative burden, and provides access to Stanford-negotiated rates. Additional information can be found on the Guidance for Booking Travel page.
- If you wish to use Airbnb, you must use the Stanford Airbnb scheduling platform.
- When booking lodging via Stanford Travel, please visit this resource to determine the maximum nightly allowance: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ifvNIuwgZdmcH33RBC8rHfWXuW63_X0EcTkBSueQv2I/edit#heading=h.l8qjzq82ocgg. Please adhere to the new travel policy. If your costs exceed this guideline, you will be asked to provide a rational and reasonable explanation in order to be eligible for reimbursement.
- Travel Meals will be reimbursed on a Per Diem (no receipts required) basis. One of the benefits of using per diem is that the traveler does not have to save receipts, thus relieves administrative burden. All meals provided by a conference must be deducted from the per diem claim. Please see Per Diem Rates.
- Flights: Economy class for domestic and international flights ONLY are eligible for reimbursement.
- Lodging or travel booked outside of Stanford Travel will NOT be eligible for reimbursement via this award.
FOR TRAVEL GRANT AWARDEES ONLY: Reimbursement Instructions
If you are applying for a travel award, please scroll to the bottom of this page to access the application link.
If you have been given an award, in order to be reimbursed for your expenses, please submit ALL OF THE FOLLOWING at https://tinyurl.com/oge-expense-travel-grant within two weeks after travel has been completed or after the conference or meeting occurs:
- (travel guidance beginning July 15, 2021): To ensure travel reimbursement for domestic and international trips, Stanford travelers MUST upload proof of COVID vaccination PRIOR to departure, through health check.
- Title of your presentation/paper/research/poster (write out all acronyms)
- A copy of your meeting/conference program or schedule (no website link, we need the actual .pdf)
- Conference registration receipt indicating the paid amount
- Itemized receipts (excluding food), indicating amount of payment, for any expenses you wish to claim (e.g., flight, lodging, conference registration, ground transportation)
- Copy of your flight and boarding passes (include a screenshot if you use a mobile ticket)
- Copy of award letter email (attach the email with your reimbursement)
- A completed student certification form, signed by your PI (you do not need to list the transaction number; make sure you put the correct dates (airfare dates or actual dates of departure and return) on the form)
For international travel only:
- Please check current university-sponsored travel guidelines to determine if pre-approval is required for international travel; if this is required; please include this proof of pre-approved travel with the above.
- If you paid in currency other than US$ currency please use Oneida to complete your conversion rate: https://www1.oanda.com/currency/converter/
Reimbursements are made via Direct Deposit; please allow 3 – 4 weeks for processing after confirmation that all of your receipts have been received and submitted.
Reimbursements via this award cannot be processed:
- If you do not present at your conference/meeting
- For any expenses incurred by a department or lab; only those expenses for which the awardee has paid for and for which the awardee can produce receipts will be reimbursed via this award.
- Until after all travel has been completed or after the conference or meeting occurs
- Until all relevant receipts and information have been received
We also ask that recipients of this award participate in the fall SBSA poster session following their travel to share their exciting work with fellow students.