Travel Grant Program
Traveling to conferences is an important part of your professional and academic development — and is a fun experience! To encourage student participation in conferences, especially when travel funds are sometimes in short supply, we have established a fund to help with professional travel. The funds are available to all PhD graduate students in good standing within the Biosciences or Bioengineering. We hope that students from labs with sufficient travel support will not apply to allow us to provide more funds to those whose travel hinges on receiving additional support.
OGE Travel Grants are used to help graduate students defray registration, travel, food, and/or lodging costs associated with conferences. The award is given as a reimbursement after the conference.
Students have used OGE Travel Grant money to attend hundreds of different conferences, both domestically and abroad. For example, the grant has subsidized student attendance at the following:
- American Society for Cell Biology
- American Society of Human Genetics
- American Society of Plant Biologists
- Annual Drosophila Research Conference
- Association for Tropical Biology and Conservation and Organization for Tropical Studies
- The Batsheva de Rothschild Seminar on RNA Editing-From Prediction to Function
- Current and Future Applications of Focused Ultrasound
- Ecological Society of America
- EMBO Chemical Biology
- Gordon Conferences
- Keystone Symposia
- Methods in Computational Neuroscience
- The Society for Integrative & Comparative Biology
- Society for Neuroscience
- Soil Science Society of America
- …and many more!
Application and Review Schedules
Effective winter 2020, OGE Travel Grant applications will be reviewed once per quarter via the schedule below. We recommend that you apply for a travel award at least one quarter prior to one closest to when your travel will take place, unless otherwise noted below.
Summer 2021: (can apply during this cycle for travel through
October 1 September 1, 2021 (as of June 28, 2021). If you have already applied for travel through the original deadline of October 1, 2021, your application will be reviewed in the next round (see below). Please note that travel prior to June 14, 2021 cannot be reimbursed via this award.
2021 Application Dates
|Quarter(s) of Travel||Travel Dates||Application Opens||Application Closes||Applicants Notified|
|Summer 2021||Jun 14-
||June 18||July 2||July 12|
|Summer/Autumn 2021||Through Dec 31||July 21||August 4||August 16|
|Winter 2022||Through Mar 31||October 6||October 20||November 1|
(the above link will be live only during the application open/close dates)
Awards and Eligibility
PhD students in the Biosciences can apply for awards to present research papers or posters at meetings organized by professional societies, universities, institutes, or other academic organizations.
Students attending conferences but not presenting posters or talks are not eligible for reimbursement via this award.
The OGE Travel Grant will award up to $1,000 per awardee once per academic year.
Reimbursements will be processed through the SOM Office of Graduate Education. Please see below for the updated policies regarding how travel and lodging must be purchased in order to be eligible for reimbursement via this award.
Please view the Stanford-sponsored travel policy and requirements regarding COVID-19 and other considerations as well as the OGE policies below prior to applying.
OGE Travel Grant Program Policy – Updated 06/17/2021
Reservations, Flight, and Food Policies
- All flight purchases and hotel reservations independent from those with a meeting or conference rate must be made through Stanford Travel: https://fingate.stanford.edu/business-travel-expenses/stanford-travel-program
- If you wish to use Airbnb, you must use the Stanford Airbnb scheduling platform.
- When booking lodging via Stanford Travel, the maximum rate allowed is $200 per night (excludes taxes/fees); a few cities have exceptions, please adhere to the new travel policy. If your costs exceed this guideline, you will be asked to provide a rational and reasonable explanation in order to be eligible for reimbursement.
- Travel Meals will be reimbursed on a Per Diem (no receipts required) basis. One of the benefits of using per diem is that the traveler does not have to save receipts, thus relieves administrative burden. All meals provided by a conference must be deducted from the per diem claim. Please see Per Diem Rates.
- Flights: Economy class for domestic and international flights ONLY are eligible for reimbursement.
- Lodging or travel booked outside of Stanford Travel will NOT be eligible for reimbursement via this award.
In order to be reimbursed for your expenses, please submit ALL OF THE FOLLOWING at https://tinyurl.com/oge-expense-travel-grant within two weeks after travel has been completed or after the conference or meeting occurs:
- Title of your presentation/paper/research/poster (write out all acronyms)
- A copy of your meeting/conference program or schedule (no website link, we need the actual .pdf)
- Conference registration receipt indicating the paid amount
- Itemized receipts (excluding food), indicating amount of payment, for any expenses you wish to claim (e.g., flight, lodging, conference registration, ground transportation)
- Copy of your flight and boarding passes (include a screenshot if you use a mobile ticket)
- Copy of award letter email (attach the email with your reimbursement)
- A completed student certification form, signed by your PI (you do not need to list the transaction number; make sure you put the correct dates (airfare dates or actual dates of departure and return) on the form)
For international travel only:
- Include proof of pre-approved travel with the above. Per the current university-sponsored travel guidelines, pre-approval is required for international travel.
- if you paid in currency other than US$ currency please use Oneida to complete your conversion rate: https://www1.oanda.com/currency/converter/
Reimbursements are made via Direct Deposit; please allow 3 – 4 weeks for processing after confirmation that all of your receipts have been received and submitted.
Reimbursements via this award cannot be processed:
- If you do not present at your conference/meeting
- For any expenses incurred by a department or lab; only those expenses for which the awardee has paid for and for which the awardee can produce receipts will be reimbursed via this award.
- Until after all travel has been completed or after the conference or meeting occurs
- Until all relevant receipts and information have been received
We also ask that recipients of this award participate in the fall SBSA poster session following their travel to share their exciting work with fellow students.