ADVANCE Summer Institute
COVID-19 UPDATE (edited 6/29/2020):
As we navigate through the COVID-19 pandemic, the health and safety of every ADVANCE scholar is our upmost priority. As advised by the Provost regarding residential summer research programs, ADVANCE will not host a residential component for summer 2020.
The current social-distancing order means that ADVANCE will be 100% virtual for summer 2020 with optional research lab rotations.
For more information about Stanford University’s response to COVID-19, please visit https://healthalerts.stanford.edu. For information regarding Stanford’s response to summer programs, please visit this Stanford Health Alerts webpage and scroll to the bottom of the page.
We are excited to announce Stanford Biosciences’ 8th annual ADVANCE Summer Institute, an intensive 8-week transition program for incoming graduate students from diverse backgrounds. The ADVANCE Summer Institute evolved from a similar program created by the Biomedical Association for the Interests of Minority Students (BioAIMS) in 2010. ADVANCE seeks to prepare students for a successful graduate career at Stanford and we look forward to building on the successes of the past seven years.
The summer before a matriculating student’s first year offers an excellent opportunity to transition to graduate school without the usual whirlwind of activity that begins in the fall. Through ADVANCE we facilitate the smooth transition to becoming a Stanford Biosciences student, laying the foundation for a successful and rewarding graduate experience.
ADVANCE scholars will participate in small literature discussion groups led by faculty and postdocs and attend workshops that will support their successful transition to graduate school. Additionally, they will participate in mentoring and social activities hosted by BioAIMS and SBSA as a mechanism for fostering a sense of belonging and community. Support for ADVANCE participants will continue throughout their first year and beyond through mentoring, tutoring and research update meetings.
ADVANCE is motivated by the Biosciences’ commitment to be fully inclusive and supportive of all students, and by the belief that a diverse graduate student body enhances the quality of the educational experience for all students.
The current social-distancing order means that ADVANCE will be 100% virtual for summer 2020.
ADVANCE Program Dates: Friday, July 3, 2020 – Friday, August 28, 2020
Key ADVANCE program components include:
- $5,200 stipend for full participation in virtual programming
- Optional research lab rotations
- R for Data Science computational course that includes coding/programming, data science and statistics
- Journal Club
- BioSci Careers workshops
- Flourishing at Stanford workshops
- Inclusion and belonging workshops
- Peer, postdoc and faculty mentoring
- Exposure to Stanford resources and relevant offices
- Weekly community building and virtual social activities
- Workshops on important topics such as:
- Transitioning to graduate school
- Reading and analyzing science papers
- Research ethics
- Strategies for combating impostor fears
- Career paths for Biosciences PhD graduates
- Technical communication skills
- Weekly surveys of basic science concepts
- Opportunities to sharpen writing skills through an NSF GRFP writing workshop series
Download the brochure (PDF)
Download the poster (PPT)
Please check the Event Calendar for more information.
Jennifer R. Cohen, PhD – Associate Director for Biosciences Diversity Programs, ADVANCE Program Director
Tony Ricci, PhD – ADVANCE Co-Founder and Faculty Advisor
Any questions/suggestions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org