ADVANCE Undergraduate Institute
The ADVANCE Undergraduate Institute is a three-day intensive institute sponsored by Stanford Biosciences and the Stanford Black Bioscience Organization. The AUI is designed to introduce diverse sophomores and juniors to the Stanford University campus and provide guidance in the graduate school admissions process. After completing the three-day institute, students will then join the AUI network and engage with previous participants who are currently pursuing and/or enrolled in a Ph.D. and/or MD/Ph.D. program. Eligible applicants should be interested in pursuing a Ph.D. in the biosciences.
AUI participants receive overnight accommodations, meals, travel to and from Stanford, and free access to the full schedule of events.
- Will open October 29, 2020
- Apply here
- January 20, 2021
Eligibility and Application Requirements:
- Current sophomore or junior at 4-year university, non-graduating seniors are also welcomed to apply
- Demonstrated interest in pursuing a PhD in the biosciences (i.e. prior scientific research experience or intent to participate in research in the upcoming academic year)
- Completed application submitted by the deadline
- Copy of an unofficial transcript
- 1 letter of recommendation
- Application closes on January 20, 2021 at 11:59pm PST
- Selected participants notified early February; selected participants will have 48 hours to accept or decline the offer
- ADVANCE Undergraduate Institute program dates are March 17 to March 20, 2021
- As we navigate the COVID-19 pandemic, the health and safety of every AUI scholar is our upmost priority. In keeping with Stanford’s social distancing policy, AUI 2021 may be offered as a 100% virtual institute.
- Updates on the status of virtual versus in-person programming will be posted here.
- Recommendation letters from someone familiar with your previous research and/or graduate level research potential (PIs, research program directors, etc.) are strongly encouraged.
- Recommendation letters should touch upon your capacity and motivation to conduct research at the graduate level.
AUI 2021 & Stanford Summer Research Program (SSRP) – Two programs, one application
Applicants who wish to be considered for both ADVANCE Undergraduate Institute and the Stanford Summer Research Program (SSRP) can apply to both programs. Being selected to participate in AUI will not influence the selection process for students who also applied to SSRP (or vice versa).
Questions? Email Dr. Jennifer R. Cohen at email@example.com and include “AUI” in the subject line.